Olney Lions Club Secretarial Duties
The following describes the duties of the Secretary of the Olney Lions Club:
The Lions Club International (LCI) web site, http://www.lionsclubs.org/EN/index.php, is used to communicate with the ILC. This includes adding/removing/modifying membership information, submitting status reports, ordering items, etc.
- Once you have been named Secretary, go to the ILC web site, http://www.lionsclubs.org/EN/index.php and set up a userid and password. You will need to know your ILC number, which you can get from the King Lion. That number will identify you as club Secretary and enable you to take the necessary actions when logged in. Once you log in, click on either "MyLCI/Submit Reports", or LCI Store if you wish to purchase something for the club or member of the club. For submitting/viewing reports, etc., click on "MyLCI/..." Once you click on one of these, you will be prompted for your userid/password. There is also secretarial training available on the web site that you should take ASAP.
- To Add/Remove a member or change data about a member, after going to MyLCI, under "My Tasks", click on "Submit Membership Report for month year". This will bring up a screen displaying the complete OLC member list -- click on "Add Member" in the upper left hand corner. This screen will allow you to perform all necessary membership activities. If a new member is a veteran, after he/she has been entered as a member, download the Veterans Certification Form from the Members page of the web site, fill it out, and submit it, along with the member's proof of eligibility (like a military ID) to the ILC. The club will receive a rebate for his/'her registration.. A new person is considered a member once he/she has paid the registration and the board has voted on them. To remove a member, go to the same page and click on the "Drop Member" button in the information area for the person to be dropped. Once changes have been made on the LCI site, email the OLC Web Master so that he/she can update the appropriate pages on the web site. Also, update any documents you maintain, such as mailing lists, etc. Once a member has been added, it is necessary to provide them an Olney Lions hat, and Lions pin. It is best to have some of these in stock so that you don't have to order them every time. You will also need to purchase a name tag for each new member. First check with them to see what name (given name of nickname) they want on the tag. See below for purchasing items and name tags from the ILC store. If data about a member changes (e.g. email address, phone number), the LCI data must be updates. Relevant club documents (see below) must also be updates.
- For each OLC activity (Community Night, Golf Tournament, road cleanup, MANA, etc.) get a count from the coordinator that includes number of OLC participants, number of OLC hours, and money collected (if any). In MyLCI, click on "Enter Service Activities...." under My Tasks. It is best to also update the District 22C 5 Star Report spreadsheet (a new one will be emailed to you each June).
- Once the Minutes of a meeting have been approved, an electronic version of them must be sent to the web master for posting on the web site. For consistency, it is best to write the minutes using Microsoft Word.
- Before the last day of each month, go to the LCI Web site and report the service activities for that month (it is usually easier to report them as you get the numbers from the members, but they don't have to be filled in until the last day of the month). Also update the Members data on the LCI site. If you have added or dropped members during the month, nothing further needs to be done. If not, just report no new activity. At this time, also update the 5 Star Report. It needs to be submitted to the 22-C officers quarterly (end of July, Oct, Jan, and April). Look at the 22-C web site to get the email addresses of the officers.
- To make purchases, go to the LCI Store, find what you need, and order it. The most commonly ordered article for the OLC is a name tag. Specify the member's name, 22C as the District/Number and Olney Lions Club as the club name. When you check out, scroll down to the input box and request a magnetic strip. You will also need to order lapel pins from the store.
- To display membership and status reports, go to MyILC, click on My Lions Club, then on Reports.
- When the slate of new officers is decided, you need to update the LCI MyLCI web site and add the members for the current year. This should be done ASAP after the April election. Also send the new list of officers and the new BOD email list to the web master for updating the web site.
- Report delegates to the MD LCI Convention to the District Secretary by April 15th, you will get email from that person beforehand.
The Secretary is responsible for taking minutes at each board meeting. The minutes should be kept electronically, and emailed to all the board members for approval the Tuesday before the next BOD meeting. When emailing the minutes, include the Status Report for that month, and any Treasurer's Reports that were distributed. Print out 15 copies of the minutes and take them to the BOD meeting for approval (take only the minutes, not status report and Treasurer's Report). Once the minutes have been approved, send them and the attached reports to the web master for posting on the OCL web site.
The Secretary is responsible for maintaining the club documents relative to membership; the roster, the member email list, the list of current BOD members, and the BOD email list. The relevant documents must be updated each time a new member joins, an existing member leaves, information about a member changes, or a new board takes office. The official versions of these are kept on the olneylionsdmd.org web site. Make sure you have the latest version before making updates. Every time a document is updated, it must be sent to the web master for publication on the web site.
In the unfortunate event of the death of an OLC member, the LCI Newsletter should be sent a write up describing the person's Lion's service. It is best to look at previous postings in the Newsletter to see how to construct the notice.
It is frequently necessary to distribute email to all the club members or all BOD members. There isn't best way that works with all email systems and browsers. With Yahoo mail and the Chrome browser, the following works:
- Open the Word document containing the email list from the Members Page of the OLC web site.
- Copy the complete list using your mouse
- Paste it into the To: field of the email.
This doesn't work with all email systems and browsers, it will be up to you to determine the best methodology.
Other Duties as Assigned -- the KL will, from time to time ask you to assist him/her. This most frequently involves sending out email or maintaining a spreadsheet for events and activities such as Charter Night, 22C Night, and the Holiday Party.
Duties as described in the District 22C Secretarial Manual